They are soooo helpful (and essential) when applying our makeup – but HOW often do you actually clean them?
45% of people NEVER clean their makeup brushes!!!
How often are you supposed to? Ideally – your makeup brushes should be washed once a week. PICK a day – and make THAT the day you do it EACH week.
This ensures that there isn’t product buildup, germs are gone and helps your brushes to last a lot longer!
Okay – but HOW do I clean them?
Soap? water? a special spray? How on earth do you get them to last a whole week without mixing colors?
- To be able to go an entire week without mixing colors – I use THIS product – it essentially allows you to “switch” colors without having to clean your brush right away. There is a sponge-like surface that you rub your brush across between colors to get remaining product off your brush. It works beautifully and simply. There are many different versions – but this one is my go-to.
SeneGence Brush Cleaner
I use SeneGence Brush Cleaner – which you can get HERE. It is safe to use on synthetic or natural hair bristle brushes and contains ingredients that help keep your brushes soft and supple. It contains a mix of scientific as well as natural antiseptic ingredients including:
- Cone Flower – a microbial herb Native Americans use to treat wounds and infections
- Chamomile extract – herb that has shown anti-oxidant, anti-irritant and soothing properties.
- Aloe Vera – known for moisturizing, heating and soothing
Even better – it is specially formatted for use with SeneGence long-lasting cosmetics to ensure ALL the makeup leaves your brush when used to clean them. If you haven’t tried SeneGence’s long-lasting line yet – – DO IT!!! It is a gamechanger and lasts on your face all day long!! Eyeshadow, liner, foundation that doesn’t smudge, budge OR come off in the water . . . it’s amazing. You can go check it out HERE.
There are MANY ways to clean your brushes weekly – here is my favorite way.
- Squeeze small amount of SeneGence Brush Cleaner directly into a clean cup. (I use a medicine cup – like the ones that come on NyQuil bottles)
- Swirl brush around in cleaner for 20 seconds (or longer if needed). * NOTE that this says swirl – NOT pound the bristles into it. A soft swirl is perfect.
- Remove brush and rinse well until water runs clean.
- Lay brush flat on a clean towel to dry. I like to lay them on the side of my sink – with brushes bristles “hanging” in the air over the edge. Personally, I let them dry overnight.
(I wash the sponge for my color-switch product the same way!)
Looking for MORE fun tips and tricks? Join my #backstagepass group . . . HERE.
It’s where all the MAGIC happens . . .
Other Articles you might like:
- What Color Eye Makeup Should I Wear?
- How to Make My Eyelashes Grow with SeneGence Lash Extend
- The Perfect Cosplay & Stage Makeup
- Why do I Need a Color Correcting Tinted Moisturizer?
- All Things ShadowSense