I have a quote in my home that I read everyday . . . it says,
We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are.
A visitor to my home recently commented after reading the quote, “So, what do you do – to nourish and create a love for learning?” The question was sincere. Long after it was answered – I continually find myself pondering his question. What do I do?
It’s no secret that I love to learn. I am always challenging myself to learn to do new things – I was always told as a child that you can do anything you set your mind to. As a child, I took that quite literally – if I decide I want to learn to make stamped jewelry, craft a wreath for my front door, play an instrument or plant a garden – I do it. I take my time – I research and try to figure out the BEST way to do something and then I go full speed ahead. After all, anyone can do anything, right! Self-development is HUGE. Everyday my goal is to be better than I was yesterday. I read once that 80% of high school graduates never read a book again once they graduate and the thought made me sad! But you don’t have to LOVE reading to work on self-development – get an audio book on the audible app. It is so important that we spend time working on ourselves. It truly is up to us who we become!!
So, if you are one who has a hard time setting goals – HERE are my tips to up your self-development GAME!
- Write a list of 3-5 people whom you most admire and look up to. (can be living or dead)
- Write next to their name the ONE thing that you admire most about them.
- Think sincerely – when you sit and think about these people – HOW did they make you FEEL if you knew them in real life.
Usually we look up to people because we innately desire to be like them. Even if it’s a quality about them – – or the way they made you feel.
- NOW – look at the names you listed – what can YOU do in your life to become more like this individual?
- What might that entail for you?
THAT is where you want to start! Find a quality you want to emulate and start researching via internet, audiobooks, library – WHATEVER – what YOU can do to add that quality to who you are. Perhaps you want to look at things in a more positive manner or have everyone you interact with FEEL that you sincerely care. Start somewhere and figure out little things you can do to start to create that in yourself. Write your goal on a small piece of paper and post it where you’ll see it each day so you are really able to work on becoming WHO you want to be. Give it 5 or 10 minutes a day – even if it’s while you shower, get ready or put dishes away. Every little step gets us closer to who we want to be.
I tell you, ANYTHING is possible if you put your mind to it.
Don’t settle – become the YOU – you want to be!!!
Here are 6 of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE Personal Development Books! These WILL change your life if you let them!! Grab one or two or ALL of them and start your road to Self Development TODAY!!!!!!
- The Choice of Positivity
- You Lead – I Follow . . . Are you a Leader or a Boss?
- What is a Vision Board and WHY do I Need One?
- TURN IT UP!! How to AMPLIFY Your Business on Social Media
- Attraction Marketing: HOW to Attract the Customers YOU want!