DISCLAIMER: Please note that some of the links in this article are affiliate links. In fact, just go ahead and assume that anywhere you see a link, that it’s an affiliate link. There is NO additional cost to you if you decide to make a purchase, I will simply earn a small commission for referring you. For more information - please see my Affiliate Disclosure page.
When starting a new business venture . . . many direct sales companies encourage you to write a direct sales contact list, “List of 100”. You are supposed to list anyone you know who falls into the listed category. The purpose of this List of 100 is NOT to hound them all re: your new business venture! At least, it shouldn’t be.
There are actually two purposes for this list:
- If you don’t reach out to them and make them aware of what you are doing they may purchase the products from someone else. Again – no hounding – making aware and sharing the passion YOU have for the product.
- Referrals. THIS is HUGE!! It’s a good bet that your Uncle Harry probably doesn’t need foundation or eyeshadow – however, most likely he knows of one or two women in his life right off the bat – that LOVE makeup or might be interested in learning more about long-lasting makeup. By getting referrals – you are immediately getting out of your warm market and expanding your reach into those who WILL be interested in your products.
Where do you Start?
Making this list can feel silly – I have so many tell me that “I have it in my head”. That’s NOT going to cut it. It needs to be written down. Best way to get someone started on this list – is to do it with them – whether on the phone, in person over LIVE on the internet. Just say – “I’m going to set a timer for 5 minutes – lets see how many you can get written down towards your list in that time. Ready, set, GO!” It’s that simple.
Often, it’s helpful to have some categories to help jog their memory when they get past the first 20-30. So, here is my category list. My advice is to go thru them ALL – as you never know which category is going to jog whom!
Categories – Memory Joggers
Parents of your friends
Friends of your parents
People your parents went to school with.
Your children’s friends’ parents
Your children’s teachers
Alumni of any school you attended: including high school
Members of the local chamber of commerce
People you know from church
Mentors – people you look up to
Former or current colleagues
Former or current customers
Friends/Employees from the Gym
Professional groups you belong to.
People you volunteer with
People who served in the military
Your Nail Tech
Your favorite barista
Your local bar tender
The owner/favorite waitress of your favorite restaurant
Anyone you know who owns a shop or a business
What are you waiting for?
Set a timer and get started right now!!!! Grab a paper and just write!!! Make sure NOT to spam anyone on this contact list. Heck, don’t spam anyone at all – that is just bad business!! Remember that you are sharing your passion and seeking referrals. If you do it the right way – your family will WANT to do business with you – because of your authenticity, class and character. So, what are you waiting for? You got this!!!
Other Articles you might be Interested in:
- Attraction Marketing: HOW to Attract the Customers YOU want!
- How to Become WHO you want to be: The Saga of Self-Development
- What is a Vision Board and WHY do I Need One?
- Slay IG: How to Use Instagram like a Pro for your Business
- TOP 6 Reasons to Sell SeneGence SkinCare and Makeup