DISCLAIMER: Please note that some of the links in this article are affiliate links. In fact, just go ahead and assume that anywhere you see a link, that it’s an affiliate link. There is NO additional cost to you if you decide to make a purchase, I will simply earn a small commission for referring you. For more information - please see my Affiliate Disclosure page.
Spring Cleaning. It is definitely one of my most loathed chores. The years I actually do it, (yes, you heard that right) I am always amazed at how good my house feels when i am done. This year I decided to tackle my bathroom products! As I began to look into HOW long certain products were good for – i was surprised (and a little grossed out) to realize HOW many of my products were WAY overdue to be replaced. I had no idea re: how often to replace some of these products. So, I decided I would share – so YOU could be in the know . .
Does Makeup Expire?
Did you know that US labeling requirements DO NOT require an expiration date on most cosmetics. Does that mean they don’t expire? NOPE. They expire . . . and when they expire can lead to irritations or even infections. ?
So protect yourself and your family – We are going to do a countdown!
So, Here We Go:
8. Fragrances/Perfume/Parfum – should be replaced every 2 years (and i just thought you replaced when it ran out! LOL! ??)
7. Nail Polish – should toss every 1-2 years. When nail Polish expires – it turns gooey or starts to get stringy. (I’m embarrassed to tell you HOW old some of mine was! So I won’t! I still had some from high school!! YIKES!).
6. Sunscreen – replace every 6 months – (in other words – I shouldn’t hang on to summer leftovers thru the winter to use again in the summer. Oops!)
5. Hair Products – should be replaced every year. This includes shampoo/conditioner, hairspray and any other product you use on your hair!
4. Powders – (including blush) are good for 18 months – 1 year.
3. Liquid Foundation – remains stable for 1 year. If you are like me – i was curios WHY it needs to be stable! Well, at BEST – once the stability is gone – the formula (no matter the brand) will stop working as well as it once did. At worst – the formula can cause irritations or even infections.
2. Makeup Brushes – no specific timeline – but when the bristles start falling out – it’s time to replace them. On a sanitary note – most of us DO NOT wash our brushes oftentimes enough! They should be washed every 1-2 weeks to keep out bacteria and to extend their life. I also suggest purchasing a color-switch type sponge to use with your brushes. Here is the one i have and LOVE from Amazon.
1. Mascara & Liquid Eyeliner – These products have preservatives in them – but they only work for so long – and as a result – when you use them everyday – should be replaced every 3-4 months. With occasional use – they can last up to 6 months. KEY to making these last is NOT to pump either product. This action introduces extra air and thus bacteria into the formula causing it to go bad quicker.
Ways to keep track?
* Use a sharpie to write the date you open any product on the bottle.
* www.timestrip.com – has these cool time strips you put on products when you open them and they “remember” the date they were opened.
Every Season – replace liquid eyeliner & mascara
Every 6 months – replace sunscreens, skin care regimens
Every Year – replace hair products, liquid foundation
Every 2 Years – replace fragrances, nail Polish, lip sticks, & all powder based cosmetics
(pressed powder, eyeshadows)
Which one of these surprised you the most? COMMENT below . . .
and if you want to learn more – come join my Facebook Community HERE
- SeneGence – WAY More than LipSense
- How to Clean Makeup Brushes with SeneGence Brush Cleaner
- Love the skin YOU’re in . . . SenePlex Complex
- How to Try On EVERY LipSense Color for FREE
- 6 Gifts Mom REALLY wants