I will fully admit it. GUILTY!! I spoil my chickens. I LOVE them and look forward to sharing a treat with them everyday. The way they come RUNNING towards the back door when I open it – will always make me giggle. They talk and talk and get SO excited when I bring out the afternoon treat – it never gets old. Many days it’s just a handful of mealworms or a bit of scratch. Ultimately yes, I make treats for chickens and these are some of my girls most favorites.
#1 DIY Chicken Treat
- Florasippi Girl ‘s article about DIY Better Than Flock Block – This recipe is one of my girls MOST favorites and I LOVE it because it makes 2 blocks – 1 I can use right away and another I can freeze and use when needed. Uses MANY everyday ingredients you use EVERYDAY like: oats, cornmeal, flour, raisins, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, eggs, coconut oil – there were only a few things I didn’t have on hand Initially : Blackstrap Molasses & Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (click the links to grab these from Amazon)
#2 Treats for Chickens
- Ellie and Her Chickens’ shares an easy, fun recipe for Chicken Seed Rolls even the littles can help make and hang up for the chickens. The chickens will LOVE it – not only for the food – but also as a boredom buster. Make a bunch of them at once and FREEZE them to pull out a few on a day when you don’t have time to make a special treat and you’ll make your ladies’ day! Hang these from the roof of your coop and they’ll be eating them up in no time. Best part of these is that you can use PB on a toilet paper roll and whatever seeds, food or dried fruit you have on hand. Some fun suggestions to use from Amazon: Hemp Harts & Chia Seeds – but seriously USE whatever you have on hand – poppy seeds, sesame seeds. These are some of the best and easiest treats for chickens.
#3 DIY Chicken Treats for Chickens
- Fresh Eggs Daily shares a Peanut Butter Seed Cake that is perfect for when you chickens are molting in the Fall and need some extra protein to help those feathers come in a bit faster!! My chickens LOVE these and eat them up SO fast. Uses a bunch of items you probably already have at home including : coconut oil, cornmeal, unsalted peanuts and a few you MAY need to grab from Amazon like: unsalted PB, Black Oil Sunflower seeds & chopped dried cranberries.
#4 Treats for Chickens
- Oatmeal Treat Balls for Chickens is a recipe created by Fresh Eggs Daily that my chickens can NEVER get enough of! As always, make a plate and freeze some for another day. Serve them fresh out of the oven or warm them up in the microwave before serving them.
#5 DIY Chicken Treats for Chickens
- Chicken Crack by Florasippi Girl is just as it sounds – when you bring this out they ALL come running and eat every last drop . . . includes things like : crushed corn, black oil sunflower seeds, cinnamon, crushed red pepper, probiotic powder, minced garlic as well as 2 protein sources of your choice.
BONUS DIY Chicken Treat
BONUS DIY : Grow Your Own Sprouts!!! Raising Happy Chickens has an AMAZING article on sprouting lentils and mung beans. My girls LOVE sprouts – they are soooo healthy for them. They especially love it when I add Harvest Delight or Garden Delight to the sprouts. ( A little bit of scratch with a bunch of seasonings). My girls especially love the lentil sprouts. Just be sure to grab the organic, non-GMO ones!! (they are better for your ladies) I personally invested in this system from Amazon and I STILL love it. Comes HIGHLY Recommended.
Do YOUR chickens have a favorite treat that you DIY? DIY chicken treats for chickens are my love language & I would LOVE some new things to try – PLEASE share your ideas!!
Other Articles you Might Enjoy: